Friday, September 9, 2011

Climate Change Part 2: It's personal

I have this memory from when I was a kid of asking my mother why people used to smoke in the olden days when smoking is bad for you. Her answer was simple. "They didn't understand that smoking was bad for them. That's why people used to smoke in the olden days". I accepted it, at the time. But years later it occured to me; people did understand. As early as the 1960s everyone knew that smoking wasn't doing them any favours, health wise. But they were addicted.












Just ask these guys.


Anyway, I saw these ads from the Copenhagen Summit in 2009 which made me wonder. Will I, one day, have to explain to my kids why we didn't do something about climate change when we had the chance? Will I have to explain that people drove cars everywhere and threw out food? That we scorned politicians who tried to introduce legislation to tax carbon and that we demanded cheap electricity over renewable energy?
 And most importanly, will I be able to look them in the eye and say 'we didn't understand'? Because I'm just not sure that'll be a good enough excuse. We do understand. And if we don't, we really should.

The information is out there. It has been for a long time.


But just like smokers, we're addicted to our decadent lifestyles. We don't want to quit, and we don't want to believe that we have to. And there are some pretty powerful corporations who have a strong financial interest in keeping us hooked.

The world is going to change. It's inevitable. It always is.
The real question is, are we going to take a measure of control in the direction things go, or will we just be swept along in the consequences?

No comments:

Post a Comment