Tuesday, August 31, 2010

elephants balancing

When I was a kid, we always used to dance to the opening music of Playschool when it came on TV. I remember all the little coloured squares flipping over on the opening credits. My favourite host was Benita. She had long, curly, grey hair. I've no idea why she was my favouite. My sister liked George.

There was one animation they used to play a lot which had a song about elephants balancing on a piece of string. Every verse, another elephant would join them on the string, until eventually it collapsed under their weight. The song was very cheery, but for some reason it terrified me. I just didnt' understand why elephants would think a piece of string could hold their weight, and why they kept pushing their luck by inviting more elephants on board. Anyway, I used to hide behind the counter whenever it came on.

One day, my dad was home from work on a weekday (which didn't happen all that often) and playschool came on, and he asked why we didn't dance to the music anymore. I'd forgotten we'd used to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment