Thursday, August 26, 2010

dreams and visions

The other week when I was walking home from uni, I had a premonition.

I was walking around this blind corner, and the thought flicked through my head "I wonder what would happen if someone was coming from the other side" and a microsecond later I walked straight into the girl who was coming from the other side.

This happens to me reasonably often. I think of something, and then it happens.

I also often mix up my dreams with real life. Something will happen in a dream, and I'll think it really happened until someone corrects me. Like the other night, I dreamed that my friend was killed by a drug dealer with superhuman powers (combination of watching Weeds and Buffy before bed), and I got such a suprise when I saw him the next day. Not that I'd been thinking all that time he was dead, I just didn't remember the dream until I saw him, and then it was such a relief to know it wasn't true. Or other times I feel angry with someone and don't understand why, until I realise I dreamt about them betraying me. And then I have to apologise for being rude. Which is confusing, to say the least.

But really, I don't think my premonitions are real premonitions. And I don't think my dreams are, either. Considering the multitude of thoughts we have every day, some of them are bound to come true.  'Law of large numbers', or something?

Joan of Arc had dreams and saw visions. (Were they premonitions? Or just good ideas for winning battles? I can't remember.) In Paris, there's a statue of her in the middle of an intersection. Joan of Arc, with tonnes of cars driving past her every second. I wonder if she ever forsaw that?

See, it's true. J of A. Intersection. Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment